Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Mind over Matter

I was chatting to a friend yesterday who was having trouble motivating herself to do things. In the past I have been the most UNMOTIVATED person when it came to exercise. I was fine if it was a hockey game but I had to force myself to go to training and the slightest excuse not to I would snatch it!

Now I really do use a mind over matter approach. For example, yesterday I ran 10km with the chariot and the dog. The night before I told myself I would be running 10km tomorrow, and in my head I just kept telling myself that. Then in the morning I got dressed straight away  in my running clothes before I even checked if it was raining and continued to tell myself I was running 10km. I normally only run 3 to 5km and that's enough but I really wanted to run 10km. So I got the chariot ready, the sun was out but rain was looming but because for the past 10 hours I had been telling myself I was going to go running it really took no effort at all to motivate myself. I ran 3km and just kept going! And it felt SO GOOD! Physically and emotionally as I felt I had achieved something.

So....the moral of my wee story is, you can do whatever you put your mind to. If you are finding yourself lacking in motivation, set yourself a goal. Just before you go to bed voice it aloud, tell your partner or a friend etc that tomorrow you will be working out/going for a swim/going for a run and then keep telling yourself that like a mantra. You will be amazed by how much easier the actual doing it is!

As always, let me know how you get on or any stories of success. Either leave a comment or email me at amy@thebellyblitz.com

Happy Blitzing!

2 comments:

  1. lol ...... i am going to the gym tomorrow!!! your timing is perfect as always !!!! the not so anonymous Fitz x

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, YOU GO GIRL! LOL!!! You have been quiet recently...kiddlets stopped barfing now?

    ReplyDelete