Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Running advice

I've just been for a 6k run along the  beach with a friend, Callum and the dog. It is such a gorgeous day it was so nice to get out! Our running conversation prompted me to write a blog post.

If you are new to running, go for time instead of distance. Try running or jogging non-stop for 10 minutes, then have a 2 or 3 minute walking break and then run again for 10 minutes if you can. After a couple of runs doing this increase your running time and decrease your break time. You want to aim to run for 20 minutes non stop as your first milestone. You can plan a route using  http://www.mapmyrun.com. In 20 minutes you should easily be able to do a 3km run. Then you can start either working on your speed or on your distance, which ever you prefer, and increase your 20mins to 30mins or more.

Another great running/interval training technique if you are new to running or want to get back into it is this:
  1. set yourself 10 paces where 1 is a really slow walk and 10 is just above your running comfort level (you are running more or less flat out and can't talk while running)
  2. 2 minutes walking at pace 1 to 2
  3. 2 minutes walking at pace 3 to 4 
  4. 4 minutes walking at pace 5 (This should be a fast power walk with heels on the ground)
  5. 2 minutes jogging at pace 6
  6. 3 minutes jogging at pace 7 to 8
  7. 2 minutes running at pace 9 to 10
  8. 2 minutes jogging at pace 7 to 8
  9. 3 minutes jogging at pace 6
  10. 2 minutes walking at pace 5
  11. 3 minutes walking at pace 3 to 4
  12. 2 minutes walking at pace 1 to 2 (Cool Down)
This is a really simple interval walk/run training but you will be surprised at how it makes you work. Its a 25 minute exercise with a 2 minute cool down. When you feel more accomplished drop levels 1 and 2 and spend more time at levels 7 to 10. Eventually you will be jogging and running like interval training or simply running at a good pace.

Happy Blitzing!

2 comments:

  1. Hey, I just wanted to tell you that I have been using this interval technique for a while now, and I no longer drop to levels 1 or 2 , my comfortable level is around 4-5!! It is amazing how our bodz adapts in no time!! yesterday I was ruuning with my heart beat kept around 150-160 bpm and I was like this is sooo easy!! a month ago I couldnt even talk if I was at this level of heart beats! that is a great sign that I am more fit now and that I can increase a little bit!!

    Great posts, and the picture woooow what a change!! congratulations you must be proud of your self!
    Happy blitzing ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sandy! And you are doing great! Keep me posted on our progress. Happy Blitzing :o)

    ReplyDelete