Friday, May 28, 2010

Running Running Running....

Following on from a facebook conversation, here is some running advice.

Running outside is different from being on a cross trainer, or even a running machine, inside. Get yourself some really good tunes on your ipod and just go! If you feel like you want to stop, pick a landmark ahead of you and think you'll stop when you make that tree, or lamp post, then if you feel good when you get there, pick another one and keep going! There is definitely a "wall" in the first 15 mins or so of running but if you run through that wall you will find you can keep going for a bit longer.I hit a wall after about 1 or 2km and then after that I get a second wind. When I run 10km, the first 5km is the hardest, after that it feels so much easier. The key is NOT to stop when you first feel like stopping but to push on through for another 500m or 2 minutes or whatever you pick. Even speed up the pace a little. You will be surprised at how far and how much you can do.

As always....HAPPY BLITZING!

2 comments:

  1. I worked by your advice today Amy :) I ran for 20min constantly then I had to stop..the hardest bit was the uphill at the end of my round, I would go uphill and think this is it I am definitely done, I can't do this..but then I get through it and go on :)
    I am not sure what's the distance,,how can you tell the distance when you're running? Can you estimate that by the time and approximate speed???
    Thank you so much for your great advice Amy!!
    I know my hobby for this summer will be running! I can't wait to get to Croatia and start running immediately!!
    and ofcourse congratulations on your second triathlon, you are a star!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. there is a website called mapmyrun. I think it is pretty much global. I check and see how far I have run with that. http://www.mapmyrun.com
    You are doing so well Sandy! You need to get some pics up xxx

    ReplyDelete