Monday, April 26, 2010

That dreaded Plateau and Week 17

It's happened....I've hit another plateau and it is really getting me down now!

In week 15 my stats were:
Weight: 63.7kg
Bust: 34inches
Waist 27 inches
Hips: 37inches

This is week 17 and I have PUT ON WEIGHT but lost inches. I didn't manage to put up my stats last week but they were the same as this week.

Weight: 64.7kg UP 1KG!
Bust: 33inches DOWN 1 INCH
Waist 27 inches NO CHANGE
Hips: 37inches NO CHANGE

I am in a dilemma., I am working out A LOT for this triathlon and I am struggling to eat enough to keep my milk supply good. I am trying to work out if the extra weight is muscle mass or the dreaded fat. So this week, and you read it here so I AM accountable, I am going to try and stick to an eating plan and see if there is any change next week. NO MORE ALCOHOL for the week, and limited carbs but I still need 1,800 cals for my supply. Or amybe not, maybe I need to drop to 1,600 cals a day as my weight has decreased, or the flip side is I need MORE calories as my activity level has increased. This just goes to show it is NOT an exact science and over the next week or 2 I am going to play around with theories to see which one works on this occasion. My last plateau I decreased my carbs and upped my cardio but my cardio is so high at the moment so I am not sure that will work this week.

My exercise this week...I burnt 2200 cals this week
Monday: Interval Fitness training
Tuesday: Off (working on horses)
Wednesday: 11km ride and 3km run
Thursday: 20min row, 30mins yoga
Friday: OFF
Saturday: 11km ride, 1000m swim and 5km run
Sunday: 10km trail run

I can see my strength training has taken a dive with the triathlon training so this week I am going to do at least 2 strength sessions, drop my carbs and see if I can get over this plateau.

Happy Blitzing!

6 comments:

  1. It's just a fluke that this happened but i mixed high calorie days with low calorie days...i've heard it tricks the body so give that a shot...also i cut down on a lot of sugars which helped

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Will give that a try! I hate plateaus....I had one at 71kg too....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amy,
    I've hit a plateau too, 2weeks now and I haven't lost anything! I started weight lifting sessions, which I never did before so I might be gaining new muscle mass. Actually, now I'm doing like cardio and strength everyday in circuit training (I follow Jillian Michaels, she is really GOOD!!). Anyway, I have sorta the same theory here, I lowered my carb a bit, cause I read that this is one of the best methods to break a plateau when upping your exercise isn't a choice and as Tania said try the carb cycling method, eat 3 days lower carbs then up your carbs the 3rd or 4th day so you trick your body and you never go into starvation mode. I broke the last plateau with a combination of 45-35-20, so I am on it and this is the second day so far. Hopefully it will work for both of us :) good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm there as well. I've gained 1 pound in the last few days. I have also recently started training for a sprint triathlon. I thought that I would try to excellerate my weight loss by dropping my calorie intake so I had a defeceit of about 500 calories a day instead of 300. I am also still nursing though she is now 11 months and is taking less. The result... weight gain. So my plan is to increase my calories again... aparently my body isn't ready to drop the calories yet. Only 4-8 lbs left to lose... we'll make it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. yay! Another triathlete!!! Good for you. It's great fun. I am wondering the same thing as I seem to have dropped my cals unintentionally so wondering if that has affected my weight loss. It's such a fine art, finding the balance!

    ReplyDelete