Wednesday, December 30, 2009

An email I wanted to share

This is an email I got today that i wanted to share with you all (with K's permission of course)



Katherine Fotheringham 30 December at 13:29
Hi Amy, 

Hope you and the family are well and had a lovely Christmas. I'm just after a wee bit of advice please! I am very impressed with your blog, and just wondered whats the best exercise to lose the weight? I've been plugging away at the gym since October and haven't lost a single pound, although I have lost inches.
 
I'm mainly doing running at the gym, about 2 miles at a time and try to keep my heart rate up in the 150s. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I am desperate to get into nicer clothes!
Katherine xxx


Amy Shiel 30 December at 13:47
Happy to help! That was part of the reason for the blog, to share my secrets and success and show what works for a normal person, its not easy and it doesn't happen over night but with patience and perseverance you will see results.

Running in the gym is great, but if you can mix up your week with both cardio (running) and strength training you will see results. Your body gets used to doing the same thing all the time and we need to mix it up. I try and do 4 hours of cardio a week and 2 hours of strength training, but with the cardio only 2 sessions are running and the other 2 are interval training (circuits, jogs and sprints etc) but all done with what I have at home and outside.

You also want to try and keep track of what you eat. A tool I use that is BRILLIANT is a website called calorie count where it says how many cals you should eat and takes into account your lifestyle.
 http://caloriecount.about.com/

The key is mixing it up and not doing the same everyday. Also doing exercises that incorporate the whole body and not just one area. One thing us females don't do enough of is weights as we are scared to bulk up but active muscle helps burn calories and weights help strengthen and tone. In the gym use the free weights, I would say anything from 5lbs to 12lbs (I use 10lbs) You can do arm curls, presses all sorts. A really good one is holding the weights on your shoulders, one in each hand. Legs shoulder width apart and squat down slowly. As you come up press the weights upwards and then return to start position. Does that make sense? Do 2 x 10reps and you will feel it in your legs and arms and it will increase your heart rate.

Another good one is lunges, but incorporate a weight into them so you are using your arms, core and legs. Hold a weight (10lbs) in both hands out in front of you and lunge your left leg forward. As you lunge swing the weight to your right. If you have enough room do this as you step across the room alternating legs or just from a standing point - Lunge with left leg and swing weight right...lunge with right leg and swing weights left. You will feel it in your arms, shoulders, legs and core, a great all over body exercise.

Hope this helps! Just mix it up and for 2 sessions do total strength training like the exercises above.

Do you mind if I post your email and my reply to my blog?

Amy
xxx

PS hope you had a great christmas!!!


Katherine Fotheringham 30 December at 15:33
Hi, thanks so much for your advice. I'd been scared to touch the weights and hadn't realised that they would help. The calorie counter looks handy too, I'd probably be shocked to see what I eat in a day! I will definitely follow your advice here and hopefully will start getting rid of this weight! 
I don't mind at all if you post my e-mail to your blog.
Thanks again and congrats with your weight loss, you've done fantastically well to manage that with a wee tot to look after at the same time!
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment